I am not sure why, but lately my kids have been obsessed with balloons! I have packages of cheap balloons and they love blowing them up and playing with them. So when I needed a way to celebrate our last day of homeschool, I knew that it had to include balloons!
Doing a balloon pop countdown is a fun, simple and cheap way to build anticipation and excitement for a special day. We did this to countdown the days until our last day of homeschool, but it would also be fun to do as a countdown to a birthday, upcoming vacation, the return home or visit of a loved one (military parent, grandparent, cousin, friend, etc), or to any other special occasion.
Here’s how to make your own balloon pop countdown:
- Balloons (however many days you want your countdown to be for, use that same number of balloons)
- Yarn or string
- Pieces of paper with surprises or activities written on them (one for each balloon)
- Permanent marker (optional)
- The first thing you will need to do is decide how many days you will want your countdown to be for. For our countdown to the last day of school I used 5 balloons, 1 for each day of that school week before reaching the last day (Monday – Friday). The number of days will be how many balloons you’ll need.
- Cut out one slip of paper per balloon, then write the surprises or activities you have planned on each piece of paper. I wanted this activity to be fun, but also easy and cheap (or free!) so I chose activities that met those requirements. We did things like pajama day, movie and popcorn day, water play day, special snack day, and for the last day of the countdown I did our big activity…going on a special trip and having a treat.
- Before blowing up the balloons, roll each piece of paper and slide it into the balloons, one piece per balloon. Then, blow up the balloons and tie them off. If you have certain activities or surprises that you have planned for specific days, then you would want to do one balloon at a time, writing the day # on each balloon as you go. I put the paper in the balloons and numbered them based on what we would do each day, but you could just randomly put the papers in each balloon or not number them at all and be surprised right along with your kids! Surprises are just not my thing!
- Next, tie a piece of yarn or string to each balloon knot. I used yarn and cut each piece to about 4″-5″ long, but the length of your yarn or string will be determined by where you hang your balloons and how far down you want them to come.
- Once you have all of your balloons blown up, tied and yarn attached, then you just need to put up a long piece of yarn or string to hang all of the balloons on. Just make sure that it is long enough to fit the amount of balloons you have blown up!
- Now the fun can begin! Each day of the countdown your kids get to pop the balloon for that day and see what special surprise is inside. I had my kids use a thumb tack to pop their balloons, but when it comes to balloon popping, anything goes!
I hope your kids enjoy this fun way to countdown to a special day as much as my kids did! Do you have another fun way to do a countdown with kids?